Chase
Job or not, I've got a ride to catch.
Following the limo is easy. It's a smooth ride, not a fast one. It follows speed limits and traffic signs. Predictable. Dependable. I slow down to conceal my movement through the nodes, but I'm still ahead of it on every turn.
Getting a look inside is another matter. I see no connections. The car doesn't talk to traffic bots, doesn't link with signals, has no data streams from the driver or passengers. Does it have a direct satellite link? A supertight shell? Is it actually...analog? A car with no net presence, and a driver who knows the city instead of letting the net take the wheel? Preposterous. Then again, these are the kinds of things the upper crust can afford.
The destination is soon obvious. We're moving downtown. Nodes are getting more secure by the minute. Then, the digital monolith comes into view. Bar, club, hotel, brothel, meeting room - The Paramount is the most exclusive, most secure, most desired place to be in the city. Drop enough cash, and it will turn into whatever you want. That's the promise they've been keeping for years.
I watch the limo pull up from the very edge of The Paramount's secure orbit. It stops at a red carpet entrance. She gets out and walks through the blinding flashes. Data streams abound. Then she's through the door, and the focus is on the next arrival.
How badly do I want this?
Comments
Post a Comment